Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Peppermint teacher...but is it more...

So I just had this written...and it deleted! AGH! So I try again!

This year I became the "peppermint teacher" but no more because I love gum and am not supposed to chew it anymore so I have peppermints on my desk. It didn't take long before my students began wanting some and I thought how great a small blessing would be to my students. I wasn't sure how I would use this but it has became a teachable lesson to me with my relationship with Christ. I hope to relate it to a teachable lesson to my students also at the end of the year. My rules to which just kind of happened...If a student asks then he/she gets a peppermint. Sometimes, I do say "No" either they didn't ask appropriately and/or the timing just isn't right during class.

So this week while I was doing my Bible study I came across this scripture JAmes 1:5-8. (5If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. 6But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; 8he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does.)

Here are my thoughts:
1. Just as we are to Ask God who gives generously...my peppermints are normally given generously...but not always...sometimes I do say No because it isn't the right time or not the best for them. How often do we hear NO! when it is just not the right time for us, there is better for us out there, or our prayer might hurt us. Hmmm?

2. If the student does not ask appropriately or mumbles...I will wait til they believe and not doubt themselves. They knwo they have to ask again because I look real confused on purpose. (Now I know God always knows our requests but how often do you think he wants us to BELIEVE when we pray?)

3. Also I have students who will ask for a peppermint for his/her friend because the friend is not around. How often do we pray for our friends because they do not what to say or are not around to pray.

No comments: